Friday, June 22, 2007

Mr. Lester, are you ready to play?





  1. With Schill on the DL, Tito has a decision to make... who gets brought up to take his place?


    All signs point that whoever it is, will come up for Tuesday's game against the Mariners. Should we all assume it will be Lester?


    Lester was raised in the Seattle area. Having him come back for his cinderella story, his first outing back in the majors after beating cancer, if he's chosen he gets to pitch in his hometown ballpark of all places. Chances are, everyone who ever knew him "back in the day" will be coming out to support him. Family, friends, acquaintences, probably even people who played little league with him, would be there.


    One of two things would happen...

    1. The hometown atmosphere would be great for his confidence, and he would do well.

    2. It would be too much pressure on him, he'd cave to it and get blasted.


    Those of you who already know me, know that I always err on the side of caution. Having said that, I would rather have Tito bring someone else up, whether it be Gabbard or Breslow or Pauley or even give Hansack a try. All four of these guys are doing pretty well in Pawtucket.


    Isn't it a great problem to have, having to choose between solid young minor leaguers, rather than having no options?


    I really think Lester is the real deal, and he deserves to get another shot this season. But I think it would be in his best interest to make his start back in Boston. There's enough pressure on a player in a market like Boston, without adding hometown press and personalities into the mix.


    Besides, I have a couple of games on my calendar that I will be going to in the first week of July; call me selfish, but I would LOVE to be there in person when he makes his debut.

No comments: