Sunday, May 6, 2007

Back from the South


Sorry that I have not posted since Wednesday; was lucky enough to get a little RnR with my husband, and have been in Central FL. We cashed in every favor we had, no kids for a 4 day trip. My Golf games were very humbling, having donated more than a few sleeves of Titleist's finest to Central Florida's waterways and alligator infested wetlands... but a bad day on the golf course still beats a good day of work.


I have to say that Red Sox Nation is alive and well in Florida. Was very easy for us to catch the Sox game each night, what a great surprise. Even though the basketball playoffs are on, each night we went to a sports bar, there were Sox fans who requested that NESN be on the big screen. Big thanks to the folks at Fridays Front Row and Buffalo Wild Wings, who made sure we all had good seats to watch the game, and cold Sam Adams available whenever ready. Who knew that I could go to FL and watch Beckett win his 6th game on a 120" plasma? It was the next best thing to being at the park, for sure.


Everywhere we went, at least one person would say hello, and acknowledge my "B" on my cap, or my Red Sox towel, or the Red Sox shirt my husband happened to be wearing, and tell me what a huge fan they were as well. From the Concierge at the Marriott, to the lady at the pool, to the waitress at the Appleby's in Kissimmee, to the guy next to me at the driving range... I felt like I never left New England. Except for the fact that it was 90 degrees, of course. No surprise that people all seemed pretty optimistic about the '07 season, having started out so strong. The consensus on Dice-K, from those that I met, is that no one really expected to be an 18 win starter right away, that he needs to learn the MLB strikezone, and it will take time. Next year he will be better. As one lady put it, "He needs to take his lumps, just like Beckett did last year, and then he will come back again in '08 stronger."


We did meet one Yankee fan, a cowboy originally from Syracuse NY. Real sweetheart, what a riot he was. Hopefully I can figure out how to download all my pictures off of our new camera, and I will post a few shots. The one of him and I next to the 120" plasma with Jason Varitek, I hope has come out OK. I will get back to you on that.


Word is out that Clemens has gone to the Dark Side once again... I will save that story for tomorrow's blog. For today, just know that 1. Yankees throwing insane amounts of cash to him shouldn't be a big surprise, folks 2. 44 is not the number on his back, it is how old he is.

44 44 44 44 44 44 44 44 44 44 44 need I say more?

2 comments:

thelegacyoftruth said...

Nolan Ryan was an effetive pitcher well into his forties. To dismiss the impact Clemens may have on what is a depleted Yankees pitching staff is ignorant, and shows a lack of respect for one of the greatest pitchers the game has ever seen.

Not that I expect much from Red Sox fans... The man is a 300 game winner and a sure shot Hall Of Famer on the first balot, and you are focused on his age.

I have one last comment" Curt Schilling isn't 23 years old anymore, either.

1918, 2004, 2090.... enjoy the wait.

soxnationgirl said...

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read/write. You don't have to agree with me, but I think you have missed my point.

I have never said I didn't think Clemens would be a contributor. In fact, I haven't written my blog entry on this yet, that is coming soon. There is no doubt the Yankees need help, and who wouldn't want to put Rocket into their rotation. Anything will be an improvement to bringing up the pitcher of the week from the minors. The Sox tried that last year second half and I remember those results quite well, thank you.

But I do not believe it shows disrespect to think that the Rocket of 2007 will be the same Rocket that existed in 1999 or 2000. He won't be. And I don't say this because I am a Red Sox fan. I say this because a very, very good pitcher is now closing in on 45 years old, and at some point this will take it's toll on him. Its the same reason why we get new cars every 4-5 years. We love our old one, but she just doesnt run like she used to! I would expect to pay that kind of cash for the Clemens who pitched for you in 1999, not for the guy who is there now. That isn't lack of respect, that is good business sense. If the Sox paid what the Yankees did and got him, I would be pissed as hell at Theo and the boys. I think that salary is too much money. Clemens has been great, but I wouldn't want him for that price TODAY. Yes, Nolan Ryan pitched in his forties, but his last season certainly wasn't an exclamation point to his exceptional career. I simply focus on Rocket's age because he isn't the same guy he once was.

You're right... Curt isn't 23 either, thanks for noticing. I am not sure what your point is. Curt's age is why Curt Schilling didn't get a contract extension when he asked for one beyond this year. The Sox so far, have not been willing to invest in this guy for long term, because at his age, pitchers are more prone to injury, etc. Time will tell if this was a mistake or not. But again, this was a simple business decision. One I actually agree with.

I don't really care how many rings you guys have, so your smack talk about our last few has little impact on me, sorry. But if you think adding 1 starting pitcher to your staff is the difference between where you are now and being a World Series Champion, I feel sorry for ya, because you will be in for a big letdown. Sorry man, it will take more than that for the Yankees to fix what's broke, otherwise you'll be the one having to wait.