Monday, April 9, 2007

Papelbon, the Nation thanks you BIG TIME

I think I am going to keep track of how many times this year Papelbon saves the hide of somebody else in the pen this year. Yesterday's game definitely counts as one. And a BIG one at that.

Unfortunately, I think this situation will be a recurring theme as the season progresses. Piniero looked like a high school guy out there.

I know it is (and will continue to be) a hot topic of discussion, debating whether or not it is a good thing to have Pap as the closer again. No one wants to see this guy get hurt again, least of all me. But for those out there who don't think he should have been moved from the starting rotation, at least acknowledge that there is something very special about him as closer. The guy looks like he belongs there, is meant to be there. I don't know of anyone else in the bullpen right now, who could have bailed us out of the 8th like that. And have a LIGHTS OUT 9th.

It was, hate to say it...

Mariano Rivera -like
Even
Goose Gossage - like back in the day.

So by holidays end, we split the series with the Rangers, and get back to .500 in the AL East Standings. I'll take it. Schilling looked a lot better today. I guess he had nowhere else to go but up, after that first outing! And Big Papi gets a tip of the hat as well. Nice to see he remembered where his groove was. I said in my last posting it would take Ortiz at least ten games. He proved me wrong, it only took him six.

No game on the schedule for tonite, so everyone enjoy the free time. I am sure we will start getting more hype in the coming 24 hours about the Dice-K start on Wednesday against Seattle’s Ichiro Suzuki. But first we have Beckett coming in tomorrow.

Until then, I think I will go check out some of that candy in my sons' Easter Baskets. Talk to you Tuesday.

No comments: