Sunday, April 22, 2007

All Eyes on Deck for the Dice-Man




Tonite is the first big test for Matzusaka... I hope he has studied. Without a doubt, he is facing the deepest lineup he has ever pitched against. And, while the Sox have already shown this weekend that they can beat the Yankees without him, a game like tonite is the exact reason why the front office has spent over $100 million for him.


I'm glad we are here and not over in Japan. Those poor fans have to get up at like 3am to catch this game. Yikes.


I'm not worried about the first few innings. I am interested to see how he does, once the batters have seen him a couple times. This is going to be so much fun.


One of my Yankee friends told me we won these first 2 games not because we are good, but due to luck, because they have so many injuries right now. After taking a few deep breaths, I thought, OK. You have injuries right now. My Red Sox were plagued with injuries throughout most of last season, so what? And yes, those injuries in'06 resulted in a disasterous August and September. But that doesn't mean the Blue Jays didnt deserve to end up in 2nd place in the AL East ahead of us... THEY OUTPLAYED US, simple as that. I have No doubt, the Sox will have their share of it as well this year. Hell, I hold my breath everytime JD Drew exerts himself... did he just pull a muscle? Oh my god, Drew just tripped, did he just strain his oblique? Coco's dive after A-Rod's second homer the other night sent him flying over the fence, I thought for sure he reinjured his finger.


My point is, every team deals with injuries all the time, the key is how well your manager can adjust with the other players that he's got. You can't minimize someone's win, just because you had some guys hurt. I mean, if we lose tonite, I certainly wont blame it on Lester being away due to cancer rehab, or maybe if Matt Clement were well and had pitched tonite, it would have been the difference... can't do that.


That is why our teams play 160 games. That is why you can't measure your team's success on the 22nd of April. The Sox are playing pretty well right now. I am really happy about that. But so is A-Rod. That doesn't mean that we are ordering World Series Rings tomorrow, or that A-Rod will be Mr. October. We have to let it all play out. One game at a time. And tonite's game, win or lose, will be a historical one for Red Sox Nation. I will be watching, and I hope you will be too.

No comments: